Pernix Group, Inc. Announces Award of U.S. Department of State’s Kampala, Uganda’s New Office Annex10/19/2017 read more +
BE&K Building Group was selected to provide construction management services for a multi-phase modernization program that provided upgraded facilities for the School of Dentistry at this prestigious university. The new School of Dentistry now has 216,000 sf of space dedicated to instruction, research and academic/research support. This long-term assignment encompassed new construction and renovation/expansion.
The new construction component of the project required decommissioning and demolition of the existing on-campus dental office and dental research buildings, which have a combined area of 54,000 sf. Included in this phase was construction of a pedestrian bridge to connect the all-new Dental Sciences replacement facilities with the adjacent Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies, part of the University’s School of Medicine. Also included is an indoor atrium that provides gathering space as well as a green-planted roof. In addition, our team provided fire alarm upgrades in an adjacent existing 200,000 sf facility.
Building Information Modeling was used for cost and construction coordination. The project team was 85% paperless via the use of digital submittal exchange. As our firm entered the preconstruction phase of the Dental Sciences Building assignment, we completed a comprehensive renovation of 1960s-vintage Brauer Hall, home to the original School of Dentistry. This assignment entailed renovating a total of 103,800 sf on five floors to house new labs, classrooms, student areas, administration offices and a common area. The project included a new fire protection system throughout the entire building as well complete window replacement. This facility achieved LEED® Gold Certification.
The Koury Oral Health Sciences Building is the cornerstone for dental education, research, and service for the people of North Carolina. As the state’s only dental school, it has been the primary supplier of North Carolina dentists since 1954.